Little Millet’s Divine
This is a simple one pot dish that bursts with flavors and is very easy to make.
- Little Millet, exactly 1 cup. This will serve two adults.
- Water, exactly 1.25 cups.
- Carrots, cut into small pieces.
- Sweet Potato, cut into small pieces.
- Green chilly, chopped up.
- Fresh Turmeric, an inch, cut into very small pieces.
- Fresh Ginger, an inch, cut into very small pieces.
- Garlic, chopped up.
- Coriander Powder, half a teaspoon.
- Cumin Seeds, a little.
- Mustard Seeds, a little.
- Spring Onions, separate stalks and root. Finely diced stalks. Chop up the roots.
- Spinach, chopped up leaves.
- A teaspoon of butter. Skip if want it Vegan.
The ratio of water to millet is important and if making more, adjust accordingly. Soak the millet in water for about 30 minutes.
Heat some oil, stir fry the cumin, mustard, green chilly, ginger and turmeric for about two mins and then add the spring onion roots, carrots and sweet potato. Season with salt. After 3-4 minutes add in the spring onion stalks and spinach.
Mix well and continue cooking till the vegetables are fully cooked. Add the 1.25 times of water. Bring to a boil. Check the salt and then add the drained millet. Cook covered on low heat for 8-9 minutes. A slight browning may happen in the base. Add the butter and stir well. This will prevent the sticking together and formation of lumps.