Simple base for both the vegetables and the fish.
- For the base : Lots of Garlic, a little Ginger and Green Chilly. Smashed in a pestle.
- Protein : Used Mackerel but you can use any fish or poultry.
- Sweet Potato.
- Any fresh herb. Used Fenugreek but coriander or parsley will also work.
- Mustard oil for the protein.
- Lemon juice for the protein.
- Sesame oil for the vegetables.
- Panch Phroan for the vegetables.
Prepare the base in a mortar pestle. Add salt directly into the mortar and use its abrasive quality to make a smooth paste,
Divide the paste into two parts. In one part add lemon juice and mustard oil. Apply over the fish and let it marinate for a few minutes.
In the remaining paste add sesame oil and panch-phoran.
Cut the sweet potato and radish into small pieces. Heat a pan. Add the vegetables. Let them sizzle a little. Add the spiced up sesame oil. Cook on low flame till the vegetables are fully cooked. Keep stirring occasionally to prevent one side burning.
Stir in the fresh herbs and switch off the heat. Let the herbs soften in the residual heat.
Pan fry the fish in mustard oil.