A very simple take on the classic Mattar Paneer.
- Paneer, 200 grams, grated and what you could not grate..just smash it up.
- Peas, 200 grams. Either frozen or fresh.
- Onion, finely chopped.
- Bell pepper, finely chopped. Its optional but makes the dish very colorful.
- Cumin seeds, a teaspoon.
- Turmeric, Chilly Powder, Coriander powder and salt as per taste.
- Lot of fresh coriander. Finely chopped but keep a few leaves aside for garnishing.
Saute the onion and cumin seeds in oil. Preferably mustard oil because it adds in a lot of flavor. When the onions have softened and started turning sweet, add the bell pepper and cook till the raw smell is gone.
Add the peas, turmeric, chilly powder, coriander powder and salt. Cook on low heat and keep stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Add the chopped coriander and cook till they start wilting.
Add the grated paneer and cook covered on low heat for another 10 minutes. Do keep an eye on the pan and use the lowest heat setting. A little browning of the paneer will be nice. But don’t let it burn.
Add the remaining coriander and use it to loosen any bits that are stuck in the pan.