My mom’s recipe uses fish. I swapped the protein with chicken and it came out almost as good.
This recipe has 4 distinct stages.
- Chicken : Couple of legs and thighs.
- Half a teaspoon of red chilly powder for each piece of chicken.
- Quarter teaspoon of turmeric for each piece of chicken.
- Tablespoon of ginger garlic paste for each piece of chicken.
- A teaspoon of oil for each piece of chicken.
Chop and keep:
- Two large tomatoes finely diced.
- Some fresh coriander.
Puree into a thick chutney kind of consistency:
- A tablespoon of ground peppercorns.
- A tablespoon of ground Cumin.
- Two large tomatoes.
- Lots of coriander, leaves and stems included.
Saute the chicken till its well browned on all sides. Move to the edge of the pan and in the middle put the chopped tomatoes and coriander. If you are using fish instead of chicken, remove from the pan and keep in a clean plate. Use the moisture they give out to deglaze the pan. Switch to slightly lower heat and cook till the tomatoes have melted away.
Add the puree. Add water to get a nice gravy consistency. Cook covered on low heat for about 15 minutes. If using fish, add it back after 10 minutes.
Open and reduce the consistency to what you prefer.