A simple but very beautiful appetizer for your family.
- 6 Tiger Prawns, shelled and de-veined.
- The Zest and Juice of a lemon.
- A teaspoon of garlic paste.
- Red chilly Powder as per taste.
- Turmeric, about a quarter teaspoon. This makes the colors come alive.
- Salt as per taste.
- Garlic butter. Either make your own or simply use the garlic-herb from Amul.
- A heavy bottomed preferably girdled pan.
- 2 wooden skewers soaked in water for at least 30 minutes. This protects them from the heat. Otherwise they will splinter and burn. Won’t taste that good.
Marinate the prawns with all the ingredients except garlic butter for an hour. Skewer them and keep them on top of something so that they dry in the air for about 5-10 minutes.
Heat the pan. Place the prawns. Put tiny pieces of cold butter on top of each prawns. Let it melt in.
Cook at least 3-4 minutes per side. Every side, not just top and bottom. Add more butter at any point of time. If you add too much it will smoke. So try and avoid that.
When they are cooked but you are super worried about feeding undercooked prawns to your kids, simply use a pair of large kitchen shears to cut the prawns in half. Inspect. If needed cook a little more.
Give each kid a stick and enjoy watching them eat.
You can use the same marinade on fish fillets as well. If skewering, do it diagonally so they don’t fall apart.