Just a simple curry with simple ingredients.
For the Paste:
- 2 medium Onions, finely chopped or sliced.
- 6-7 cloves of garlic.
- 1 inch square piece of coconut, cut up into small pieces.
- A tablespoon of fennel seeds.
- A teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- A teaspoon of whole black pepper pods.
- Cardamom, two.
- A tablespoon of peanuts.
- 4-5 Almonds.
- Two tablespoons of coconut oil.
- 300 grams of chicken, preferably with bones.
- A teaspoon of red chilly powder.
- A pinch of turmeric.
- A tablespoon of ginger garlic paste.
- Two tablespoons of oil.
Coat the chicken with its ingredients and keep aside.
To prepare the paste. Fry the onions in the coconut oil. When they lose the raw smell, add the garlic and coconut pieces. As the onions start getting a brownish hue, add the fennel seeds and cinnamon powder. Mix well. Let it cook for two minutes.
Once cooled, grind it into a thick paste. Now add the remaining ingredients and continue grinding. Add water. The paste must have the consistency of creamy peanut butter.
Fry the chicken. Let it brown on all sides. Add the paste. Add more water. There must be enough water to cover everything and have the consistency of dosa batter. Cook covered for about 20 – 25 minutes on low heat.
Garnish with finely chopped coriander.