With Ramzan over and having added a couple of inches to my waist, my regular diet kicks off with a fiery red meal with some amazing peppers and popped amaranth seeds.
Super simple and this recipe uses no oil or butter.
- 200 grams of meat with bones.
- Two whole onions. Peel them but don’t cut them.
- A tablespoon or as much as you dare of whole black pepper corns.
- A quarter teaspoon of turmeric.
- A tablespoon of garlic paste.
- 4-5 Red Peppers, cut into strips.
- 3-4 tablespoons of popped amaranth. Take raw amaranth seeds and add them to a hot pan one tablespoon at a time. They will pop up like tiny popcorn kernels.
Put the whole onions, mutton, pepper corns, turmeric and garlic paste into a pressure pan. Add half a cup or so of water. Pressure cook on high till the whistling starts. Switch to low heat and let it continue simmering for about 15 mins.
Open the pan, when the pressure has subsided. Add the red pepper. Cook on high heat till the pan has started to get dry. Keep stirring. The onions would have softened and mash them into the peppers. We want all the garlicky goodness in the broth spread all over the red peppers.
Add in the popped amaranth and mix well. Garnish with some fresh coriander.
Serve either hot or cold. Enjoy.