Food needs to look bright and cheery on a holiday. Adding natural colors in your daily diet helps a lot and Beets are one of the best things to use.
- 300 grams of mutton. Cut into small 1 cm squares.
- 500 grams of beets, cut into small 1 cm squares.
- 1 large onions, finely diced.
- 3 tomatoes, finely diced.
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric.
- 1 teaspoon or more of red chilly powder.
- 1 tablespoon of coriander powder.
- 1 tablespoon of garam masala.
- 1 tablespoon of ginger and garlic paste.
In a pressure cooker, saute onions till they are translucent. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell has fully dissipated. Add the mutton and let them roast away for at least 7-8 mins. Stir occasionally. Add the turmeric, red chilly powder, coriander powder, salt and garam masala. Mix well. Add the tomatoes and deglaze the pan.
Cook for about 5-6 mins on medium heat.
Add the beets along with half a cup of water.
Pressure cook on low for at least 20-25 mins after the first whistle. This amount of time is needed to soften the beets and completely cook the mutton.
You will need to use some high heat to dry up the pan.
Serve with a garnish of coriander. This goes great with roti’s as the natural sweetness of the beets is the star.