- A Pomfret approximately 700 gms, cut into slices.
- 2 Medium Onions finely diced.
- 6 Tomatoes, chopped. If texture is very important, blanch and peel off the skin.
- 2 Green Chilies.
- 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- 1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste.
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric.
- 2 teaspoons of coriander powder.
- A marble sized ball of tamarind.
- A fistful of curry leaves.
- A bunch of coriander leaves and stems, finely chopped.
Heat oil. Saute till tender the onions along with green chilies, curry leaves and cumin. Add the tomatoes and cook on low to medium heat. Sprinkle salt as soon as you add the tomatoes. This will hasten their cooking. When the tomatoes have fully softened, add the turmeric powder, coriander powder and ginger garlic paste. Mix well and keep it at low heat. Add the coriander leaves.
In a microwave safe bowl take about 300 ml of water. Place the tamarind ball in it and nuke it for a minute. Using a spoon mash the tamarind to dissolve it. Strain out the tamarind and add this water to the tomatoes. When this gets to a boil, carefully place the fish pieces in it. The pieces must be fully immersed. Cook covered on low heat for approximately 15 mins or the fish is cooked.
Switch off the stove but do not open for another 10 mins.
Enjoy with rice or dosa’s.