- A bottle gourd cut into small pieces.
- Garlic cloves chopped.
- A green chili finely chopped.
- Coriander leaves, chopped.
- Fenugreek seeds, one teaspoon.
- Mustard seeds, one teaspoon.
- A quarter teaspoon of turmeric
- Two heaped teaspoons of Sambhar Powder.
Heat some oil and saute fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and garlic for a minute or two. Add the chopped bottle gourd and sprinkle turmeric and salt. Mix well and let it cook for 4 mins on medium heat. Add chopped coriander and sambhar powder. Cover everything with water . Don’t use more water than is needed. High heat, till water gets nice and hot and then let it simmer for about 15-20 mins. Till the water has evaporated. Let it cool before serving. The lauki must be fully cooked but has to retain a little bite in it.
Optional: Garnish with sev and if you like it, some beaten yogurt.