Watermelon is one of my favorite fruits. But we eat the juicy red part and discard the white rind. Couple of years back my friend brought a chutney made with it. It was very nice and this thought has always played in the back of my mind. Every time I slice a watermelon, I felt guilty about discarding an edible part. Finally decided to try cooking it and am very happy I did it.
- Finely diced watermelon rind.
- Couple of Garlic pods, roughly chopped.
- Mustard seeds about a teaspoon.
- Turmeric powder about half a teaspoon.
- Red Chilly powder about 2 teaspoons but adjust according to taste.
- Coriander for garnishing.
Be careful while removing and discarding the green outer skin. Its best to cut the watermelon in half and place it on a cutting board. Let the knife run downwards. If you try any other angle there is a good chance your knife will slip and cut your finger.
Heat oil and saute the garlic and mustard. Add the red chilly powder and turmeric. Mix them well. Add the watermelon rind and cook on low heat. Use low heat and cook till it softens. Midway thru this season with salt.
Garnish with coriander. A splash of lemon juice is optional.
Goes great with rotis.